Location: Bellefonte, PA
STATUS: Full Time (40 hours/wk)
COMPENSATION: $28.05/hr – $39.28/hr
Responsible for the prosecution of a wide array of criminal offenses and handles all phases of a prosecution from pre-investigation through post-sentence appeals. An Assistant District Attorney is responsible for evaluating cases, taking into consideration resources, strength of the evidence, severity of the crime, any impact on victims and the community and policy considerations.
Essential Job Functions:
• Assists police in the investigation of criminal offenses.
• Provides legal opinions to police relative to investigations and advises police on the drafting of criminal complaints, search warrants and statements of probable cause.
• Evaluates evidence relative to propriety of criminal charges and search warrants.
• Assembles and evaluates evidence, interviews and prepares witnesses for various court appearances.
• Represents the Commonwealth in the prosecution of cases at preliminary hearings, pretrial conferences, pretrial motions, trials before court and/or jury, post-verdict motions and appeals to Superior and Supreme Courts of Pennsylvania.
• Represents Commonwealth in Post-Conviction Relief Act hearings in the Court of Common Pleas and appeals therefrom to the Superior and Supreme Courts of Pennsylvania.
• Represents the Commonwealth in proceedings on writs of habeas corpus in United States District Court, Courts of Appeal and Supreme Court.
• Represents the Commonwealth and the Court of Common Pleas in Indirect Criminal Contempt proceedings and all appeals therefrom.
• Represents the Commonwealth in Juvenile Court proceedings and all appeals therefrom.
• Represents the Commonwealth in summary appeals and appeals therefrom.
• Does legal research and makes oral arguments and prepares written briefs before all Commonwealth and federal courts.
• Interacts with all other state and local law enforcement agencies and local individuals and organizations.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Juris Doctorate (3rd year law student eligible to sit for bar exam within 6 months)
• Licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of PA
Interested applicants should email a resume and cover letter to:
Administrative Assistant Nicole Courter
Centre County District Attorney’s Office
106 East High Street, Room 302
Bellefonte, PA 16823 firstname.lastname@example.org